Saturday, 27 July 2013

Our first flight (with makeup on!)



Hiya there, folks, and welcome (back) to Call Me Nina!

Welcome back to the blog which has been, since its very beginning, a question mark. A question mark as whether or not I'd have the discipline to keep it, as to what I would be talking about in its posts and as to whether or not anyone would be interested in what I had to say. And the answer to these questions I have yet to find out. 

The truth is: I don't know whether to tell you that Call Me Nina is finally here or that Call Me Nina is finally back. You see, we had three posts on this blog since its creation, but I have deleted two of them, because I was simply unsatisfied with the way they turned out. The first post ever I decided to keep. I found it wonderful.

So now I like to think we're heading towards a fresh start here at Call Me Nina. The blog will begin as it should be: I got rid of the corny Rita Hayworth layout and I made a whole new one, decorated in Early 1900s style. There's a reason for this: One time my friend Natalie told me I was the new woman to her Gibson Girl. It fit us so perfectly and it never left my mind. So the illustations by Charles Dana Gibson are both a nod to my love of history and a nod to my friend, Nattie. Love you, girl. 

"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning— So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."

The new slogan "believe in the green light" is from The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald. One of the things I admire the character of Gatsby for and probably the only characteristic of his with which I can relate is his great hope for the future. He has an unshakeable certainty that his life will be extraordinary, so much so that he drives himself to near insanity searching for that beautiful tomorrow.  I, too, am hopeful to a fault. I, too, wonder about a life that seems to back up just as intensely as I plow toward it. I, too, believe in the green light. And I don't think I'll ever stop searching. But as Gatsby and I frantically look for that future we so hoped for, we found ourselves being thrown into the same comfortable place: the past. 


At Call Me Nina, I hope to explore my life. The things I think about, the things I do, everything I believe in. I hope that I get to know myself better by doing this, and begin to sort out my multiple thoughts and feelings in a more efficient way. And I hope that you'll remain with me. 

Are you ready?

Best,
Nina


P.S. By the way, the top bar is a little empty, I know. But as Call Me Nina grows, it'll have its attractions too. Give us a little time. 

2 comments:

  1. How nice you're back here. I never maintained a personal blog for too long, for simple lack of subject, and having a movie blog came as a salvation. And, weirdly, the posts I think to delete because I didn't like them are extremely successful.
    See you soon! Kisses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the new look and good luck.

    Is it just me or does the lady in the banner look like Myrna Loy?

    ReplyDelete